Blend your passion for building software at scale
with your commitment to mentoring.
Engineering Lead – Backend
Are you passionate about transforming new feature ideas into solid, scalable product features that customers love to use? Do you love working with millions of texts/users/requests in a high volume environment? Do you believe that the junior developers of today are our architects of tomorrow? Cultivating great culture and strong collaboration are your defaults and you believe that winning is a team effort.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Being an Engineering Lead means setting the direction for your team. It’s about making sure everyone understands and follows major technical decisions.
As a Lead, you find answers to questions that positively impact our team’s productivity and morale. Is this feature designed properly? Are our services reliable enough? How can we improve performance? Is this the best data model for this project? Can we afford more technical debt? Have we covered all the bases?
An Engineering Lead's role is to answer these questions while they roll up their sleeves and help in the development. Typically 80% of your time will be spent on feature development.
Engineering Leads also play a small management role too. They assist Product in scoping out work, help teams structure their work, and solve coordination issues faced by their teammates. In this role, you'll also guide a few of our back end engineers to ensure their career is on track and they are getting the support that they need.
You'll work closely with our Front End Engineering Lead to support work across our Full Stack feature pods. Together you'll ensure best in class development through pairing and partnering on feature work.
You'll have the backing and support of our Architecture and DevOps team to ensure we do this with the bigger picture at heart - reliability, scalability, and compliance. We have robust CI/CI tooling, processes, and procedures. Test-driven development is our norm.
WHO YOU ARE
You're committed to solid development practices to deliver clean code, release reliable software, and work collaboratively with other leads to successfully deliver a robust scalable product.
You value Lean thinking, embrace automation, and are fully committed to continuous integration and delivery as a means to drive stability and scale.
This is an ideal role for someone who wants to explore what it means to lead while staying hands-on with feature development.
- Able to translate Product epics into technical stories and a clear development action plan.
- Able to demonstrate pragmatic decision making and problem-solving abilities.
- Capable of explaining hard technical challenges both orally and in written form.
- Passionate about solutions to challenges like scale, throughput, performance, security, and how these challenges play out in the development of features.
- Constructively express your viewpoint on good architecture, but don't have to be "right"
- Someone that has empathy for others and enjoys helping them when they are stuck.
- Willing to take ownership of different sections of the application, becoming the go-to person on the team for all aspects of it, from planning and stories to QA and support questions.
- Proficient at building Ruby SaaS platforms at scale.
We’re looking for someone with experience in most or all of the following (or the equivalent):
- Ruby on Rails (must have)
- SQL and NoSQL data stores
- ActiveJob, AWS SQS, S3
- Sidekiq Enterprise, Redis
- InfluxDB, Grafana
- Heroku and/or AWS
TextUs is the leading business-class text messaging software and the world's first real-time communication platform designed to dramatically improve how businesses communicate with their prospects, staff, and customers. TextUs currently serves the staffing / recruiting, higher education, corporate HR, healthcare, property management, and financial services industries.
With a 98% read rate and up to 40% response rates, TextUs delivers business-class text messaging that allows businesses to truly engage with their stakeholders in real-time.
- Employees have a voice and an impact on the success of TextUs
- Collaborative, data-driven culture
- Experienced and proven leadership team
- Health/Dental/Vision/Insurance Benefits
- 401K with company match
- Open vacation policy - (take what you need to stay energized)
- Headquartered in Colorado
- Remote (US) friendly - we encourage you to apply!
If this role interests, you please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TextUs does not discriminate based on race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.