Who needs to receive your message?
Identify your target audience so you know how many different messages you may need to send. Depending on your SMS platform, you may be limited to how many text messages you can send in bulk, as well as how large a contact list you can upload.
What type of content are you sending?
Depending on your audience, you may need to customize your content. You can include PDFs, images, and links to engage with your audience.
What is the call-to-action (CTA)?
To improve your engagement and response rates, you will want to ask one single CTA of your contacts. It could be to click on a link, which you can track, or to to include a specific reply.
How will you measure success?
You can track your read rates, response rates, response times (how long it takes someone to text you back), and link clicks. You can also A/B test SMS campaign sends to see which messages perform best with an audience.
What type of number will you use?
When you send an email, you consider “who” the message will come from and then also who the replies will go to. An SMS marketing tip is to consider what type of number you will be sending texts from. It can include:
- Short code: Short code messaging may include five- or six-digit numbers, is easy to send promotions and offers, is best for automated notifications, and you can send more messages faster.
- Long code: A long code number will look similar to a regular, local business phone number and include 10 digits. Long codes can increase brand awareness and credibility, you can respond to text messages and carry on a two-way conversation, and is a more personal form of communication.
- Toll-free: Toll-free SMS includes seeing a number that comes from an 800 variation. Toll-free texting is most commonly used for transactional messaging such as account-related alerts, notifications, and customer care messaging.
Some SMS platforms include automated landline exclusion to assure optimal delivery to the numbers you are sending text messages to.
5. Beware of the Dos...
Here are a few SMS marketing tips that we recommend you do based on our customer success:
- Do ask permission to text
- Do respect your contacts’ time and attention
- Do use proper spelling, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation
- Do keep it short
- Do respond to texts